Wednesday, November 17, 2010

My 1st & Worst Flight Journey Ever!!- From Hyd 2 Losangeles PART 2

After the immigration process, I proceeded towards the lounge. I checked for my gate number and settled in a seat. I was still crying and my view was almost blur. When I looked around, I saw so many people around me. An elderly lady who was sitting exactly opposite to me was staring at me. I felt awkward. I wiped my tears and glanced around. I saw so many shops . Hmmm, I love all sort of shops. Especially when they are colorful with soft toys, books, key chains, chocolates etc etc.  It was around 1:10am. I'm an early bird. I always sleep early and wake up early. Even during the peak time of exams, I sleep at 10 or max 11. After 11 no matter what, I can’t help but feel damn sleepy. Unless and until it was really necessary, I will never be awake after 11. But today though the time was quarter past 1, I was not feeling sleepy. I was eagerly waiting to fly high!!!! Still one hour to go. I took iPod from my hand bag and started listening to songs. The lady sitting opposite to me was still watching me. I looked at her and gave a friendly smile. I felt that if I didn’t smile, she wouldn’t stop staring at me. She smiled back. Cool. There were frequent announcements about the flight and passengers. In order not to miss any announcement I reduced the volume of iPod. After some time, there was an announcement hearing which every one’s face went pale. The flight was delayed for 2hrs and would start at 4:20am. OMG, what will I do for next two hours? I was already feeling bored sitting all alone. It then occurred to me that my sis-in-law has activated international roaming on my mobile and I had it in my hand bag. I thought of calling my dad to inform him about the delay. But I then realized that everyone at home would be asleep. I didn’t want to wake them up. I forgot to carry a novel with me. All I had with me to kill time was the iPod. After some time, I went to the rest room. I was washing my face when I again heard an announcement. I quickly rushed out. The announcement was repeated. It drove me nuts. The flight was further delayed for 3hrs. That means, the flight which was supposed to start at 2:20 would start at 7:20. For a moment I felt like going back home. I love surrounding myself with people. One thing doing which I never felt tired was talking talking and talking. But now, though there were hell lots of people around me, I knew no one. I was already feeling homesick. I wasn’t worried about sitting 16hrs in the flight, I knew I would slip in to sleep easily. But spending 3 more hrs in the lounge was bothering me. I had no clue about what to do. It was then that I noticed a book shop. Good. I went to the shop. I'm an avid reader. I read everything from newspaper, magazines, novels, comics, text books, pamphlets and what not!!! I looked at almost all the novels,what caught my attention was Sidney Sheldon’s “Nothing Lasts Forever”. I read the novel two years back. I borrowed it from a friend. I completed reading it in one day, but returned the novel after a week. I read the novel as many times as I could in that week. Right from page 1 to the last page, everything was so interesting that once I started to read, I closed the novel only after I finished it. I loved the novel. Since I read it two years back, all I could remember was the storyline and the main plot. I sort of forgot the narration. Without slightest hesitation, I bought the novel along with two other Telugu novels. I came back to my seat and started reading the novel. I loved every bit of it. The characters, the narration, the concept, plot etc. I spent the next one hour reading the novel and completed almost half of it. Though I was reading with utmost interest, I couldn’t help but keep checking my watch and tell myself “Just 1hr to go, 40mins to go”. An announcement began again. I thought it was about the flight getting started. But I was sooooo wrong!!!! I felt so irritated. The flight was again delayed for third time and this time for 4 sucking hours. All the passengers were very furious hearing the recent delay. Some of the passengers started arguing with the flight executives in the lounge. The executives simply said they felt sorry for all the passengers, however they were helpless as there was some technical problem with the flight. I looked at the watch. It was 6:50. People slowly got up from their seats and went to have breakfast. Hmm, I could hardly resist the aroma of idli sambar from a café in the lounge. Idli is my all-time favorite breakfast. I was hungry and wanted to gorge on the idlis. But I didn’t brush my teeth and I didn’t have my tooth brush or paste in the hand bag. They were in the main luggage. The thought of having breakfast without brushing teeth was yackkkkk!!!! . I went to the restroom to wash my mouth. There was a lady in the rest room brushing her teeth. I cursed myself for not carrying my brush and paste. I then went to have my breakfast. I ordered for a plate of idli. I was served after 10mins. I was really surprised to see two very very small idlis (Perhaps half the size of what my mom prepares at home!!!). I munched on the idlis. Since it was already half past 7, I decided to call my dad and tell him about the delay. Before I could call him, I sensed that I was getting a call. The mobile was vibrating in my bag. It was my husband. When I answered the call, he was surprised. No hello, nothing. The first thing he said was, “Ramya, is that you?? Is everything alright?” I told him about the delay and that I was still in Hyderabad airport. He was very upset. I told that I was fine and there was nothing to be worried. We talked for next two hours. I told him that the battery in my mobile was dying and I didn’t even carry the charger. He asked me to check for charging points in the lounge. There were three charging points, but sadly none of them had chargers that supported my mobile. Bouncers all the way. Nothing was going good. Delay delay delay and now low battery and no charger too. I cursed my ill fate. After talking to my husband, I called my dad. Even he was shocked to see my name in his display. He thought I reached Dubai and was calling from there. When he learnt about the situation I was in, he asked me if I wanted him to come over to airport. Both of us knew that there was no point of him coming all the way to airport from our house. Even if he comes, he’ll not have access to come to lounge, nor do I have an option to leave the lounge. So, I asked him not to worry and assured him that I was perfectly alright. Telling him about the low battery, I ended the call. I was engrossed in reading again. After about an hour I completed the novel. I was in no mood to start reading another novel. My eyes were burning due to sleepless hours, and on the top of that reading the novel created burning sensation in my eyes. I closed the novel and kept it in the bag. I closed my eyes for a moment. I wanted to have a strong cup of coffee. I went to the same café where I had my breakfast and ordered for a coffee. If it was in my college canteen, I would have told specifically that I needed a strong coffee. But here I didn’t. I found a corner seat and settled with my cup of coffee. I was in no hurry today. No college. No exam. And so, no tension. I had all the time in the world. I enjoyed my coffee sip after sip. Mathematics is my favorite subject and I loved calculations. To kill time, I started counting the number of customers in the café. There were 19 of them. Tea was the cheapest item on the menu. It was 15bucks. So, even if each one of them orders at least a single tea, the café would earn 15*19=285Rs. Good. If the café makes at least 250Rs per an hour, that would mean 6000Rs (250*24) in a day and ultimately 1,80,000 (6000*30) a month. Not bad, assuming that 6000 is the minimum earning each day. I finished my coffee and went back to my seat. My eyes were still burning and I badly needed to sleep. But with so many people around me, I felt uncomfortable to doze off. Also I would miss announcements. I can’t risk closing my eyes for a moment also because I know I'll easily slip in to sleep if I do so. I went to the rest room again, washed my face and got freshened up. Ah, I was feeling lot better. If the flight was on time, I would have already reached Dubai and would be waiting for the flight to Losangeles. It was since last 7hrs that I was sitting in the lounge and I had to do so for next two hours. Most of the people were in pairs and they were all chit chatting. I had no one to talk to. At one stage, I thought I'll go back home. Then I thought I'll explore the lounge from starting point till the end. But I was not supposed to leave my luggage and had to carry it wherever I moved in the lounge. So, I just dropped the idea. Instead I started observing everyone, thinking which of them would be travelling to Losangeles. After some 10mins, I took out the Telugu novel. I started reading it. I don’t know if it’s only me who liked novels like crazy. I liked all kinds of novels. Fiction and non-fiction. Well known writer or a less popular one. Hindi, Telugu or English. I liked all kinds of novels. The one I was reading now was Yandamuri Virendhranath’s stuff, a very famous Telugu novelist. His works have been translated in to Kannada, Tamil, Malayalam, Marathi, Hindi and even English. I started reading his novels right from my ninth class. I read only 3 to 4 of his works, but became his diehard fan. Apart from regular novel stuff, he also includes a bit of general knowledge. I was in my 49th page when the executives finally announced that………………..
THE FLIGHT GOT CANCELLED!!!!!!!!!!
For a moment I was speechless. I didn’t know how to react. Everyone went and started fighting with the flight executives. The lounge which was very calm from past 7hrs was now filled with noise. All the passengers were fed up with the delay, but what upset everyone was 7hrs of waiting and finally cancellation. It was ridiculous. I really had no idea about what cancellation meant. Do I go home and come again? Or will they provide other airlines? Within a second, I was getting all sort of weird thoughts. What if the flight was at night? How can I spend so much time here? Will they allow visitors at least now? I went to one of the executives and asked her. All the other passengers were fighting and shouting at her. But though I was irritated with the cancellation, I spoke to her softly and enquired about what is that I had to do now. She said they were putting up all the passengers in a hotel in the airport, after which they will let us know as to what we had to do. I got the piece of information for which everyone was fighting and shouting. I calmly came back to my seat and started watching the nuisance. I really pitied the flight executives. They were being questioned and people were shouting at them. But they were so patient and answering everyone with a forced smile. How difficult would their job be? One of the ladies was abusing a flight executive and the executive was almost in tears. The other executives called higher authorities for assistance as they were unable to handle the hyper passengers. After about half an hour, the higher officials came. They explained that the flight had a serious technical problem and had to be cancelled. They also told that it was completely their responsibility from the Hyderabad airport till we reach our destinations. After much arguments and discussions, everyone came to a common understanding. All the passengers agreed to what the officials said. Slowly everyone was led to the carousel. We had to go down to collect our luggage. Oh my GOD, I had to take an ESCALATOR!!!! Nothing scares me as much as an escalator. All of my friends used to think of me as a bold and daring gal until they found out my escalator phobia. Escalators scare me to death!!!! Once, in order not to get on to the escalator, I climbed almost 200 steps at Imax. I was with my school friends. We were meeting after a really long time. We kept moving from floor to floor in Imax. Every time we had to go up or come down, everyone used the escalator. But I was the odd man out. I used the stairs. Today also when I saw the escalator, I was scared. But watching the steps beside the escalator relieved me. The airport authorities closed the entrance to steps and only very elderly people were being allowed to use steps. I looked at my cabin luggage and the escalator. I was worried. But I felt so ashamed when I saw kids and old people using the escalator. But this wasn’t the time to experiment. So, I asked the executives to open the entrance of stairs for me. She stared at me and asked if I had any health issues. Without a second thought I said yes, not knowing what would I tell her if she asked me what issue I had. But, luckily she didn’t ask me. She just opened the entrance. I gave a really biggggggg smile to her. I felt like doing a “Saashtanga namaskaaram” to her. Silly me!! I walked almost 30-40steps with the luggage. I was the only one of my age group taking the steps. Everyone else was too old. I felt weird. But no choice. After I got down the steps, I noticed that something more challenging was waiting for me. Everyone was collecting their luggage from the baggage claim carousel. OMG, how do I lift such heavy bags that too when the luggage was moving around on the belt? I looked around. Everyone was busy collecting their luggage. I, for the first time felt too bad about having to travel all alone. I wished my husband was there in such situation. My bags were moving in front of my eyes, but I didn’t dare to pick them up and make a fool of myself. I knew I cannot lift them all by myself. I really needed someone to help me out. Everyone else picked their bags and left. I was standing there all alone watching my bags rotate on the belt. There was not even a single porter. Where have all the porters gone? I was almost in tears when a man came to me and said “Madam”. I looked at him with a question mark face. He asked me if I needed any help. Without uttering a single word, I showed him the bags. He smiled and lifted the bags and helped me to put them on to the cart. Second Savior of the day. I felt so relaxed. I thanked him profusely. We were led out of the airport. The authorities arranged shuttles from the airport to the hotel. The hotel was in airport premises. I felt relaxed. But after two trips to the hotel, we were informed that the hotel was completely filled and couldn’t accommodate more passengers. All of us were standing outside the airport in the hot sun with carts. I was feeling giddy. It was almost 12 in the noon and I still didn’t brush my teeth. I was telling myself, the first thing I'll do when I reach the hotel is brush my teeth and take bath. I can starve but I can’t compromise on basic things like brushing and bathing. I talked to few people and wanted to check if anyone was heading to the same destination as I. Sadly for me, none of them was going to Losangeles. People, whose destinations were the same, formed a group. I was standing all alone. I kept consoling myself saying “This shall pass too”. After a good 45minutes we were given accommodation in Westin hotel at hi-tech city. That means again nearly one hour journey from airport to the hotel. Meanwhile my dad called and when I told him that I was going to the Westin hotel, he said he’ll meet me at the hotel. I didn’t want to strain him. It would take easily 2-3hrs for him to travel from my house to hi-tech city. But he was worried and wanted to see me. I asked him to get me the mobile charger so that I can charge my mobile at the hotel. The shuttle started at around 1 in the noon. So, I had been in airport for almost 12hrs!!! Too bad. The porters helped us with the luggage. I just closed my eyes and slept in the shuttle. I was disturbed by all sort of noises. I woke up and saw that we reached the hotel. I never heard of Westin hotel. When we were told that we were being accommodated in Westin, I thought it might be a small hotel. But I was soooooo wrong!!!! The hotel had 20+ floors and it was mind blowing. I was in no mood to enjoy the beauty and look of the hotel. I badly needed to take bath. I pushed myself ahead, went to the reception and asked what my room number was. She asked my name, took my passport and allotted me a room in 18th floor. She then told me that I'll be given my passport when I leave. I asked her if I can get someone to help me with the luggage. She asked me to leave the luggage in the lawn and the helper would get it to my room. COOL. While in the elevator I was thinking, when will these guys get my luggage? I can take bath only when they get my luggage as all my clothes were in the main luggage. To my surprise, as I went to the room and was opening the lock, there came a helper with all my luggage. Too good. He helped me to carry the luggage inside and left. I immediately opened the main luggage, took out my brush and brushed my teeth. Ah, it felt so good. I felt as if I brushed my teeth after ages!!! I then took bath, had some sweets that were packed by my mom in-law. As I was about to sleep, the telephone in my room started ringing. It was the receptionist other side. She told me that I had a visitor. Wowww, it was my dad. I immediately went down. My dad was sitting in the lawn and reading a magazine. I was soooo happy to see him. I wondered if I felt so relieved just because I missed him for 14-15hrs, how will I feel if I'll not be able to see him at least for a year? My GOD. The thought itself was so scary. I didn’t want to think of it as it will make my situation even worse and I'll get emotionally depressed. I went and hugged my dad tightly. I was almost in tears, so was my dad. I, for the first time in my life felt bad that I was a daughter. If I was a son to my dad, I would never have to leave my parents and go somewhere far. Later, I took my dad to the room. I charged my mobile. I was telling him all that happened after I entered the lounge. I had no one to talk and now all of a sudden someone close to talk to. I was talking continuously. My dad asked me to sleep for some time. But I didn’t. I was worried deeply that I would not get to see him in the near future if he left now. So, I kept my sleep aside and talked to my dad heart fully. I then ate some fruits and chips that my dad bought for me. After sometime when I was unable to control my sleep, I told my dad that I wanted to sleep. After I slept, my dad went out, and talked to few people who were also supposed to fly with me and were accommodated in the same hotel. Some of them informed my dad that they got call from British airways about their journey. British airways has booked tickets for all the passengers in various other airlines. Some of them left the hotel as their flight was in the evening. Most of the passengers got call from the British airways about their flight details. I was the one who didn’t get a call. My dad immediately came to my room and woke me up. He asked me if I got any call from the British airways. I said I didn’t. He immediately called the receptionist and asked her if they got any call for me at reception from the British airways. She said they didn’t. When we gathered more information from other passengers, we found that many of them didn’t get call too. Thank GOD, I had some company. It was already 5 in the evening. I asked my dad to leave. He was reluctant to leave and said would leave only after everything was finalized. But he had to travel a really long distance to go back home. The hotel was in one end of the city and our home at the other end. After I forced him to leave, he left the hotel telling me to call him in case of emergency. I went to the ground floor to bid my dad good bye. He wished me a happy journey. While going back to my room, I once again enquired at the reception if I got any call to my room. They said NO. I was so sure that if my journey was confirmed with other airlines, I would get a call from the British airways. I went back to the room and was cross checking all my documents. I heard a knock on the door at approximately 6:20 in the evening. It was an elderly man who was also staying in the same floor as I. My dad had asked him to inform me about any kind of recent updates from the airways. My dad never makes his absence felt by doing such things. This uncle has brought with him a website and few helpline numbers on a piece of paper and asked me to call the helpline. I tried calling the helpline. But there was no response. Meanwhile my husband called me. I gave him the website as I didn’t have access to internet in my room. When he logged in to the website and checked my flight details he was shocked and so was i!!!! I was still in hotel which was a minimum of 45minutes drive from airport and my flight was in 30mins. I was totally unaware of my confirmation about the flight. I didn’t waste a single second. I called the reception and asked for a helper to carry my luggage and told the receptionist to arrange for a cab to airport. She said the cab was already waiting for me. I was so furious. How can a cab wait for me without I being informed? This was ridiculous. But I didn’t want to argue. I quickly came down and collected my passport at the reception. I then adjusted my luggage in the cab and left the hotel. As I was leaving the hotel, the receptionist told me not to pay to the cab driver as the airways will take care of it. Hmmm, these people had at least this basic sense. I called my dad and told him that my journey from Hyd-Dubai and Dubai-Losangeles by British Airways has changed to Hyd-Delhi, Delhi-Frankfurt and Frankfurt –Losangeles through Jet Airways till Delhi and by Lufthansa from Delhi. Telling him that I’ll call him as soon as i reach airport, i ended the call. What if my dad hasn’t asked that uncle to intimate me? Who would have helped me with the website and helpline numbers? What if I missed this flight? I barely had 20mins to reach the airport. I asked the driver to drive fast. I told him that I had to be in airport in at least 15mins. The guy understood my situation and he knew I was tensed. He was driving really fast. He took the outer ring road route which was relatively free from traffic compared to the regular route. Thanks to the outer ring road. If I had to take the regular and old route, no doubt I would have reached the airport after a minimum of 2hrs. My flight to Delhi was at 7:20 and I'm still on my way to airport and it was already 7:07!!! What the heck? I don’t know what would happen if I miss this flight, will I be able to talk to airways and take another flight? My husband asked me to call the helpline and tell them about my status. I was too tensed and worried. I gave him the number and he talked to the British Airways executives, told them about my situation. The executives assured him that they’ll take care of me as soon as I reach the airport. But none of them turned out when I reached the airport. Crappy people. So careless. The cab driver helped me to put the luggage on the cart. I took out a hundred rupee note and gave it to the driver. He was hesitant, but when I forced him, he took the money. I never spend a single rupee until and unless I feel it’s really necessary. But today without any second thought I gave him the money. He totally deserved it.  I was already 7:12. Only 8mins and my flight would be gone!!!! Never in my life was I soooo nervous. I was pushing my cart and moving fast. I cleared the security check and went directly to the British Airways counter. They asked me if I was Ramya Joshi. Hmmm, I told YES it’s me. They checked in my luggage and directed me towards Jet Airways. When I reached the counter, I showed the executive my boarding pass and he said, “Mam, you are so late”. I for the first time raised my voice, got irritated and shouted, “Excuse, I was informed at 6:30 that my flight was at 7:20 and I had come all the way from hi tech city. What else can you expect from me?”  The guy asked me to calm down. He immediately asked the attendants to stamp on my boarding pass (I didn’t have to wait in the queue for stamping). I was given two other boarding passes from Delhi-Frankfurt and Frankfurt-Losangeles. I put the passes in my handbag without even checking them and hurried to the gate. It was already 7:35, I was 15mins late and I was not sure if I'll be able to make it to the flight. And when I reached the gate, I found no one!!!! For a moment my heart sank. It felt as if the whole world has come to an end. I was so sure that I missed the flight!!! The thought of which made me shiver. I hurriedly went to the executive over the counter, and asked him if the flight has left. He asked me if I was Ramya Joshi. I almost screamed a YES. He said the flight was waiting for me and would leave in 5mins. I was sooooo very happy. Flights would only wait for VIP’s. But, British Airways officers asked the Jet Airways to delay the flight for 20mins for me as it was the fault of British airways. Thank GOD!!!!A shuttle was waiting for me at the gate. I got in to it. I was the only passenger in the whole shuttle. The credit for I not missing the flight goes to my dad and the uncle in the hotel undoubtedly. What if my dad hasn’t asked him to inform me? What if the uncle didn’t give me helpline numbers and the web address? I could have screwed up my entire trip. When I finally got in to the flight, I felt as if I conquered the whole world. I put my luggage in the cabinet and settled down in my seat. Finally, I emerged victorious!! This experience was enough for me to make the rest of the journey confidently. Everyone in the flight was staring at me as I was the last one to turn up. I observed them only after I put my luggage and settled down. I gave a sigh of relief and there was a smile on my face. I then looked around. Everyone was staring at me. They were observing me keenly. Seeing I sigh and smile to myself, they could have thought I was mad!!! The flight started in 5mins. I'll reach Delhi in another 2hrs max, i.e. at 9:45pm. My flight from Delhi to Frankfurt was at 3am. Hmm, I had 5hrs at Delhi airport. I, after all the circus, realized that I was starving for a really long time. I ate some chips and fruits in the noon and didn’t have anything after that. I quickly planned my schedule at airport. I'll collect my baggage from carousel, after which I'll have dinner and then go to the lounge. The plan seemed simple and executable. I closed my eyes and was recollecting all that happened with me. I had a hearty laugh. Though I didn’t have proper sleep for almost 20hrs, I was neither feeling sleepy nor tired. I was just excited about my journey. I forgot all my novels in the main luggage. Oops, how will I pass rest of the time? Hyd-Delhi should not be a problem. It was just 2hrs journey. But rest of the journey 18hrs in flight and 8hrs in lounge seemed to be eternal. Ok, I quickly took a decision. I'll listen to songs in iPod in the lounge and in flight I'll sleep. That was the best way to pass time. Now my mind was at peace. I simply started enjoying the rest of the journey by observing flight attendants, co passengers. It was announced that the flight will be landing in next half an hour. Be cool and confident, no matter what. That was my mantra right now. But fate had something totally different in store for me!!!!! Just before the landing, I got the shock of my life. My name was being announced in the announcement. I listened to the announcement with much attention now. Oh, no. It was my name that they were announcing. I was required to meet a flight executive as soon as I landed in Delhi. His name was Shiv Dingra.
What went wrong now????
Everyone in the flight started looking at each other as to who Ramya Joshi was, whose name was being announced repeatedly. Again, there were so many questions in my mind. Did I board the wrong flight? Why didn’t they tell me when I got in to the flight? Was there something wrong with my passport? Or was it an emergency? Did something happen to someone in my family and did they ask executives to inform me? My GOD, I was so lost in thoughts that I didn’t even realize that the flight has landed and everyone was moving. The lady beside me shook me. I said sorry and got up to give her way to move. I was the last one to leave the flight. As soon as I got out, I went to the shuttle and reached the domestic terminal. I have to collect my luggage from baggage claim and then take another shuttle to International terminal. In the process, I should also have my dinner as it was already 9:30. I went to the carousel, didn’t have time to check if a porter was available as I had to meet the executives too. I wanted to give it a try. I wanted to collect and lift my luggage myself. I can’t do it with so many people around me. I was hesitant. But then thought, I know no one and no one knows me too. There was no point in feeling hesitant to lift my luggage. I went forward and stood in front of the carousel. All the bags were moving on the belt one by one. My dad has attested a printout with my name and destination on my bags so that I could easily identify them. There I could see two heavy bags, a green and a red one with my name on them. When they were moving in front of me I wanted to lift them, but something inside me stopped me from doing so. Again I was looking for a porter who was not to be seen in the nearest distance. I finally gave up and asked a guy beside me to help me with my bags. He said yes and thus I managed to collect my luggage and then proceeded towards the Jet airways executive to meet Shiv Dingra. I reached the counter and asked for Shiv Dingra. I was shown a guy standing far away. I pushed my cart and went to him. The cart was so heavy and on the top of that, I was feeling sleepy and hungry too. I felt as if I'll faint and fall down. I knew I had to be cool and strong. I decided to temporarily forget about food and sleep. When I reached the guy and asked him as to why I was asked to meet him, he took me to the counter. He said that there was some problem with my boarding pass. He said he’ll call and verify with Hyderabad airport authorities. He was calling someone in Hyderabad airport. Meanwhile I took out my boarding pass and guess what????? I was given 3 passes. One from Hyd to Delhi, second one from Frankfurt to Losangeles and the third should be from Delhi to Frankfurt. But the idiotic person in the Hyderabad airport counter gave me a carbon copy of Hyd to Delhi pass instead of Delhi to Frankfurt. He didn’t give me the pass from Delhi-Frankfurt!!!! That means, I cannot board the flight now. After finishing his call, Shiv Dingra asked for the carbon copy of the pass and then asked me to talk with British airways executives. I went to the British airways counter which was really far from Jet airways and totally at the other end of the airport. I reached the counter and explained my situation. Good GOD, the executive was informed about my situation beforehand. She took me to the Lufthansa airlines counter, which was again in another end of the airport. She assured me not to worry as it wasn’t my fault that I was given the wrong boarding pass. I thought everything was going to be fine. But when I reached the Lufthansa counter along with the British airways executive, I was asked to give the carbon copy of the pass which I gave it to Shiv Dingra of Jet airways. I told them the same. I didn’t have the copy. But they told me on my face that I cannot travel until and unless I show them the carbon copy. It was 11:40 pm. I spent almost 2hrs pushing the cart and moving in the airport from counter to counter. I didn’t know what to do now. I was clear that I have the copy, may not be with me. I told that I'll go and get it from Shiv Dingra. The British Airways executive looked at me and said, “You look very tired. I'll ask someone to get the copy for you”. She then called someone and told them to get the copy of pass from Shiv Dingra of Jet airways. I asked her to excuse me for a while and went to buy some drinking water. I completed half the bottle in one gulp. I was about to order for a veg sandwich when the British airways executive waved her hand and asked me to come fast. I hurriedly went to her; there was another executive with her. When I asked what happened, the executive said that Shiv Dingra has denied I giving him the copy!!!! I was so furious and all could say was I'll go and talk to him. I went all the way to the Jet airways counter and asked for Shiv Dingra again. They said he was somewhere in the airport on duty. I asked them to call him on his mobile. They told me that he left his mobile with them. I didn’t know what to do. It was already 12:20. I gave them my mobile number and asked them to tell Shiv Dingra to call me as soon as he comes. I left the place. Only 2 ½ hrs left for check in and I was still in Domestic terminal. I had to go to International terminal. I didn’t know where to search for him. I was simply moving in the airport hoping to find him. I almost looked for him for the next one hour. As I had to check in, but had no boarding pass, I didn’t know what to do. I finally went to the British airways and asked them if they can help me or I'll simply return to Hyderabad. They said they were waiting for an officer to handle my situation and who’ll help me out. The officer arrived in 5mins. He asked me if I gave the carbon copy to the guy or if I didn’t. Come on. Why would I have to lie? I said firmly that I have given the copy to Shiv Dingra. He then asked me to follow him. We went to the Lufthansa counter. The officer told them about all that happened. The Lufthansa executives called their officer and both of them had talked and discussed for about half an hour. At last I was allowed to travel in the flight. They came to a common understanding. I was given a new boarding pass from Delhi-Frankfurt. I cross checked my boarding pass and passport.The officer asked me to leave for the International terminal as it was already time for check in and I was running out of time. I rushed to the gate to take a shuttle to International terminal. I thought both domestic and international terminals are part of the airport, so it would take less than 5mins to reach the International terminal. But NO. It took a good 15mins!!!!!! When I reached the international terminal, I directly headed to the Lufthansa counter. I checked in my luggage, I didn’t have time to eat. I was supposed to undergo immigration process again. Oh, no. I stood in the line. After 5mins I approached the immigration officer. He looked very strict and serious. He asked my name, husband’s name and profession. I gave him the details along with supporting documents. Before stamping on my passport, he asked me what my qualification was. I said that I completed my MBA. He then asked, “In?” Without even thinking for a second I said, “CBIT”. He stared at me. I said I was sorry and gave a smile and said, “Chaitanya Bharathi Institute of Technology” (That’s my college’s name). He just looked at me as if I were a dumb ass and asked “What fields?” Oh, so he meant what specializations in MBA? I said “Human Resources and Marketing”. It was so funny. I was a complete fool. I was unable to control my laughter. But since the officer was checking my documents seriously, I tried to control my laugh. But as soon as he stamped on my passport, I burst out laughing loudly. He and everyone else were staring at me.
For the first time in my whole life, I burst out laughing so loudly, that too in front of complete strangers.
After few seconds, I collected my passports and documents and proceeded further. I observed a smile on the officer’s face while he was handing over my passport. Good. He too knew that it was funny. I then left to the lounge. I was already late. All the passengers were moving into the flight. I directly went and stood in the queue. After 5mins, I was in the flight. I looked for my seat number. Out of the three seats, mine was the middle one and there were guys on either side. I settled down. It was very uncomfortable for me to sit between these two guys. They were friends. Both of them was talking from either side. I could see nowhere but the front. How can they book tickets with one seat left between them? It was foolish. Before the flight could take off, one of the guy asked me if I can seat in another seat which was vacant. It was in the next row. There was a lady sitting beside that seat. I said I will move, and left my seat. My new seat was much better. A lady one side and an empty seat the other side. The lady was also from hyd. I was so relieved to hear that. I asked which state/city she was going to from Frankfurt. She said Toronto. Hmm ok. I badly needed to sleep. I closed my eyes. The flight took off. I slept straight for 4hrs!!!! After I woke up, I adjusted my hair and dress. I wanted to use the rest room. But, I was feeling awkward and uneasy as I was not accustomed to the rest rooms in flight. Since I slept for 4 straight hours, I wanted to wash my face and mouth. I got out of my seat and asked one of the attendants where the rest rooms were. She showed me the way. It was common for both ladies and gents. I didn’t mind. All I knew was if I keep hesitating for each and every small thing, I would make my journey even more miserable. There were two men waiting outside the rest room. As soon as a lady came out of the rest room, I thought one of the guy would go in. But they asked me if I wanted to use rest room first. I said yes and went inside. I washed my face. I kept on wetting my eyes. It was such a relief.  As I was walking back to my seat, I saw that the attendants were getting snacks for everyone. I was so hungry. I felt like grabbing the food and eat!! I realized how much I troubled my mom when she asked me to eat.  She literally used to beg me to eat!! Now when she wasn’t around, I missed her terribly. I came to my seat and was waiting for the snacks. And finally, here they arrive!! The flight attendant placed the snacks in front of me. I was very eager to eat. But my hunger died as soon as I saw the snacks. I couldn’t even make out what stuff it was!! I didn’t even know if it was veg or non-veg . Having food in front of you and you being damn hungry but unable to eat the food was terrible. I simply put the snacks aside. I closed my eyes. From the beginning till now, my journey was pathetic. GOD knows what will happen to me in Frankfurt. If it was Delhi or Mumbai or Chennai, I would manage or in worst cases fly back to Hyderabad. But now I had no such choice. I was still lost in all sorts of thoughts when I heard an announcement. I was surprised. The flight will be landing in next 45mins. Good. I didn’t want to spare even the 45mins of landing time. I again slept and woke up just 10mins before landing. The local time at Frankfurt was 7:30am. After the landing, I bid good bye to the lady sitting next to me and wished her happy journey. She too wished me the same. Hmm, I thought how nice it would have been if she was coming to Losangeles too. I would have got some company. There were helpers everywhere in the Frankfurt. They were guiding all the passengers. I showed them my boarding pass and asked them which way to go to reach the gate. He showed me the directions. I followed his directions and also the instructions on the boards which were placed all along the airport. My gate was B 52, I was at B 18. I started walking towards B 52.When I reached B 26; I found a board indicating a rightward and downward direction for gates B 27 to B 52. I took a right and then found that I had to take an escalator!!!! Oh shucks!!  I can’t. I looked around, there were no stairs. Just two escalators. One for going down and other for coming up. I didn’t know what to do. I knew I had no choice. I saw everyone passing me and going. I had 5 good hours for flight. No hurry. I went and sat on a bench. I found a helper nearby and asked him if there were stairs to reach gate number B 52. He didn’t understand what I asked. I showed him my boarding pass. He was speaking German. I didn’t understand even a single word. I was asking in English and he was answering in German. He saw my boarding pass and showed me the escalator. He was trying to tell me that I have to go down the escalator to reach my gate. I said OK, thanks and pretended as if I was going to the escalator. He smiled and left. When I reached the escalator, I turned back and looked around. There was no sight of the guy. I again came back and sat on the bench. I was seeing all the people come up and go down the escalator. It was no such deal for them. But for me, escalators and elevators are a big no no. I use elevators only when I really don’t have an option. I still remember an incident. I went to Mumbai to visit my sister, they stayed in 8th floor. One day I went for a walk all alone. I walked down the 8 floors, just to avoid the elevator. When my sister found about what I did, she scolded me and every day she used to take me in the elevators, so that I get used to it and I don’t fear it anymore. Because of her, I got used to elevators little bit. I don’t know why, but I'm damn scared to use escalator or elevator. Today also I was in same situation. I had no other go!!! I was sweating completely. After ten minutes, I realized that if I simply sit like this, there’s a chance that I would be again late for the flight. I closed my eyes and prayed to GOD. I took my hand bag and the cabin bag. I started walking towards the escalator. My legs were shivering. I stood there for a moment, observed the escalator. I took a step ahead, placed my foot on the escalator and immediately dragged the cabin bag in my hand on to the escalator. Hurray!!!! I was walking down the escalator. Another proud moment in the journey  I was actually enjoying it!!!! There was an airport train that takes us to the gate B 52. I got in to the train. When it stopped, I got out of it and looked for directions to head towards B 52. Again rightward and downward directions. I was 50% excited and 50% nervous. However I didn’t have much time to sit, get ready and take the escalator. I simply walked towards the escalator and carefully put my foot and zoooooop !!I reached down within no time. I was very happy. I walked to my gate and settled down. I was so hungry. I wanted to have some Indian food like rice with ghee and pickle. There was no Indian food stall anywhere in the airport. Why will there be an Indian food stall anyway in German airport? I simply sat in the same place for next 3hrs after which it was announced that the passengers are requested to get in to the flight. There was one more hour and it was just a regular announcement. I went to the rest room and got freshened up. After that, I went ahead, showed my boarding pass and got in to the flight. There were very few passengers. Some were already sleeping. I found my seat and arranged my luggage in to the cabin and settled down. I sat in the corner seat and there were all ladies in my row. None of them Indian though. I then remembered that I switched off my mobile when I was in Delhi and never switched it on again. My dad, uncle, brother, sister, husband and brother in law were calling me one after other to check if I was alright. I got fed up with their calls and switched off my mobile. I totally forgot to switch it on. I bit my tongue for not intimating them . I switched on the mobile sent a message to everyone.
I’M FINE. IN A FLIGHT TO LOSANGELES.WILL REACH LOSANGELES IN 12HRS.SHALL CALL YOU AS SOON AS I REACH. SWITCHING OFF MY MOBILE RIGHT NOW.
Before switching off the mobile, I waited to check if any of them would reply. Surprisingly I got responses instantly. My uncle was the first one to reply. Then my husband, dad, bro in-law and brother replied. I felt both happy and sad. Happy that they cared so much for me and sad because I was going far away from them!!! I read all their replies again and kissed my mobile. The lady next to me observed this. I looked at her. She smiled, I gave a smile too. She asked me if I was travelling all alone. I said I was. She asked me not to worry. I thanked her and then switched off my mobile. After 25mins the flight took off. I was so relaxed that I'll be reaching LA finally. I was eager to see and talk to my husband and tell him all about the circus. I saw the map display in the flight. It showed 12more hours to reach the destination, i.e. LA. I didn’t eat anything for almost one whole day!!! I didn’t care much now. I will be landing in LA within no time and my husband would be there to receive me. I, to kill time was picturing how our meeting will be at the airport. Will he be as excited as I was? Will I be able to control my emotions or will I break down in to tears as soon as I see him? Thinking about all such stuff, I fell asleep. Deep sleep. I slept for 2hrs. But I felt as if I had a really long sleep and thought now the map will show less than 6hrs to reach destination. Hoping this, I looked at the map. Still 10 ½  hrs. Ah, now that I had sound sleep, I cannot sleep again. How do I pass next 10hrs? I took out a pamphlet from the pouch in front of my seat and started reading it. After sometime the attendants came with snacks. Again the same stuff. But this time they had few pieces of mango fruit and a bun in addition to the routine stuff. Keeping all other items as it is, I ate the fruit and the bun. Haa, they were really tasty more so because I was extremely hungry. There was no other item on the plate which I could eat. I then asked the attendant for water. She got me juice and water. I finished them. I returned the leftovers as it is. The lady beside me has finished all the items on the plate except for mango. After the attendant left, the lady asked me why I didn’t eat anything. I told her that I was not OK with what they served. She smiled and said, this is what you’ll find all across US. You should get habituated. I smiled and said I'll slowly start trying out such items. I took out my iPod and started listening to songs again as it was the only way to fight time. I didn’t realize but I fell asleep again. This time for 4hrs!! My ear phones fell out from my ears and one could hear the songs in my iPod. I quickly looked around. Everyone was busy. Some were sleeping, others reading and some others listening to songs. The lady next to me was also in deep sleep. She was snoring loudly. I was sitting in the same place for almost 6hrs. My legs were aching badly. I got up and made a quick walk in the flight. I stood near the entrance where the flight attendants were there. I was looking out of the window. After 10mins, a flight attendant asked me to move back to my place as they were serving snacks. Ah, I thought, who’ll be interested in your snacks? Not me at least. I came back to my seat. This time the snacks were much more horrible. They served chicken with some vegetables. I would have ate the cabbage and tomatoes but they were in the same box as the chicken, I didn’t even feel like looking at them. GOD knows how people eat such stuff. I was hungry but didn’t have anything to eat. So, I didn’t even touch my plate and closed my eyes, trying to catch sleep again. I woke up after 3hrs when the lady beside me was shaking my hands wildly. I rubbed my eyes, adjusted my hair and asked her as to why she woke me up. She asked, “Are you alright? You didn’t eat anything and going on sleeping. Do you want to take some medicine?” It was really so sweet of her. I said I was perfectly alright and I slept only because I had no other thing to do. She then asked me to eat. I told her that I'm a vegetarian and I don’t eat chicken. She was surprised and asked if all Indians were vegetarian. I said some of them do eat non veg. I looked at the route map. Only 1 ½hr more and I'll be landing in LA!!!! I was extremely excited. The flight attendants now came with chocolates. I took a chocolate from the tray. The lady beside me took two and gave one chocolate to me. I refused, but she insisted that I eat the chocolate as I didn’t eat for a long time. Wow, she was so concerned. I thanked her and ate both the chocolates. I for one last time went to the restroom. I was going to meet my husband in next 45mins and the idea itself was so joyous!! The rest of the time I counted every second in 45minutes. I kept looking at the map and as each minute passed, I felt as if the eternity was coming to an end. Finally I'll be with someone I love after spending almost two days with all strangers around and no one to talk to. The lady sitting next reduced my feeling of loneliness by showing genuine concern. That was the best part of the entire journey. I felt very thankful to her. The flight was about to land in 10mins. I was on cloud nine. After a really hectic feat, I finally reached my destination!!!!! The flight landed and this time I was the first one to get up, take out my luggage and proceeded towards the exit. I was all smiles !!!! I went to the baggage claim section. This part of the journey really sucks. But now, since it was last time to face, I happily went to the carousel belt. I asked one of the porters to help me with the luggage. I got my green bag. But ten minutes passed and I was unable to see my red bag. Everyone else collecting their luggage and leaving. There were hundreds of bags rotating in front of me but there was no clue about my red bag . I had all my gold ornaments, puja items (Idols of GOD’s, vermilion, scented sticks etc etc), all my dresses in that bag. I couldn’t even digest the thought of losing the bag. I kept staring at all the rotating bags. Half an hour passed, still I couldn’t trace my bag. The crowd was slowly moving away. I was observing a red bag which kept on moving and no one claimed it. For a moment, I thought it could be my bag. But my bag had my name on it. So, I didn’t pick up the bag. After almost an hour when everyone left the carousel, the red bag was still moving. I thought of taking it and check if it was mine. I was waiting for the bag to come in front of me so that I can get it down and check it. But 5minutes passed and there was no bag on the belt!!!!! I was tensed. I left the rest of the luggage as it is and went to the other side of the belt. One of the porters was carrying away the bag. I just shouted, “Excuse me, that’s my bag!!” He said he was taking it to the officers as no one claimed it. He left it with me without even asking me to check if it was mine. I closed my eyes, prayed GOD and opened the bag. I felt so happy seeing all my stuff inside. It was mine!!!!! The paper with my name on it got tore. I happily closed the bag and then remembered all of a sudden that I left rest of the luggage in the middle of the way. I quickly went to check if the luggage was safe. It was there where I left. I again came back, took the red bag and went to the place where I left rest of the luggage. I adjusted the entire luggage on to a cart and eagerly proceeded towards the immigration counter. The officer asked me to show few documents and asked about my husband’s job and location details. He asked me if I was carrying any plant, chemical or drugs with me. I thought, do I look like that? But I knew it was a formality and they have to ask such questions. I said I wasn’t. He checked my documents and stamped on my passport. I thanked him and proceeded towards the exit. As I was pushing my cart and reached the exit, I saw my husband. He came running to me and hugged me. I was so relieved. Now, he was all smiles and so was I!!!!!!

8 comments:

  1. this was the worst journey indeed....I also had the similar experience. will tell u when we meet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....................reading ur story about escalator .............i remember the same situation with my sis, i was fully tierd to make her get used to use escalator before going to US, finally in one mall she was forced to use escalator since there was no stair case provided.............but she also faced the same one day delayed flight at dubai.....i had realised the situation of people at home when flight gets delayed and u don't have way to reach out the traveling person.....:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, is it?? Trust me Geetha..I was so scared of escalators!!! Now got completely used to them..Ur sis nd i belong to the same category..:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes...................and one shopping mall funny thing was........on the way to show her how to use escalator, i went ahead and she stayed back, i came 3 or 4 rounds back to get her..............and all were looking at me, and she was standing down leaving way to other people...............and in mean time one samll kid came with her father, asked her father to leave her hand and she jumped on escalator..............looking at that my sis was so embarased and she came back home stopping all the purchasing to be done for travel...........:-).............nice memories tough :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh...tat must be really embarassing 4 u!!..I acted like ur sis by nt getting on to the escalator evn wen my frnds tried pushing me on to it forcibly!!!...ya, thse are all really treasured memories..

    ReplyDelete
  7. baap re kya to bhi journey thi.........had i been in your place, i would have almost screamed and abused at the flight executives n officers......

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmmm...mein tum logo ke saath mass hu re...dusron se class..isiliye dint abuse them..if it was any of one frm our group abuse kya laathe aur joothe maarthi thi :P :P

    ReplyDelete